Bad Luck Blues Pt. 1


I got hit with a bad luck virus, and I got hit hard for about 48 hours. The picture`s are of my bed for the night, which consisted of a park bench outside a train station where I got stranded for the night. Continue below for the full story.

STORY: After my great night at the classic rock bar and the weather changing just for me, I thought I was invincible. All trip I have been hitting great luck. I got nito the Gibbon experince after one night when it was supposed to be booked for 10 days. My tooth miraculously healed after almost being knocked out. One spot opened up on the overnight rain to Bangkok which I deperately needed to catch. On and on. Needless to say I thought someone was on my side. I was in for a rude awakening. Here`s how it goes.
After Sakurajima, I decide to head for Kirishima Yaku National park for this hike that is supposed ot be one of the best in Japan. The train lines do a full circle around the park and there are three points where you can access the mountain.

6:15 p.m.- Board train for Kirishima National Park. I passed the first two stops and headed for Ebino Station.

9:15 p.m.- Get off at Ebio Station and it is empty. NO ONE ANYWHERE!

11:00 p.m.- Last train comes and I think I am saved. WRONG! The train goes four stops and thats the end of the line for the night. What do I do? I put on my hooded sweatshirt, my jacket, and fleece hat. I find a bench and think that I can sleep there for the night. I wrap up in my sleeping bag and head to bed around 11:30.

1:00 a.m.- 90 minutes later I am awake. The temperaure dropped and I am freezing cold. I put on my coururoys over my jeans, but to hot coffees from the vending machine and am awake all night moving around in my sleeping bag to keep warm.

5:30 a.m. 4 1/2 hours of cold and the first train departs. I am on it just to warm up. It wraps around full circle to the first stop at around 7:15 a.m. Cool. I made it through the night and now I am going to go kick the mountain`s ass for some revenge. "Not so fast young grasshopper. You have much yet to learn". I ask the train station attendant how to get to the mountain. "Take this bus".

7:51 a.m. Bus arrives. "You go here?" I ask. "No". Damn. Back to the train station. The attendant realizes that bus only runs to my stop no weekends. O.K. I:ll go to different point and hike in.

8:51 a.m. Bus arrives. "You go here?" I ask. "No". Damn. Back to the train station. Turns out none of the buses from this station to the mountain on weekdays. I could take a cab, but it`s 30 dollars and I get no ride back, which means an 8 mile hike back to the train station after my hike. Discourgaed but dteremined I head to the next train stop where I am sure the buses run to the mountain.

9:45 a.m. Board train and head to next stop.

11:00 a.m. I arrive ready to go. Where is the bus to the mountain? Turns out the last one for the day left about 20 minutes ago. I missed it because I spent two hours waiting around at the last stop. In typical Nick fashion, I lose it. I toss my day pack 20 feet, throw my hands to the air and scream, "This F$#"ing country". The japanese people stare at me, but I don‘t care. I can catch a cab from here. Now it`s 50 dollars. I can see the mountain range from here. It`s calling me, but I am exhausted, mal nourished and decide to save something for next time. Dejected after 15 hours and no success I board the train and move on.

Read next blog for part 2